Oil150.com

Forest Oil Corporate Logo

Oct 27, 2008 | Posted in Essays, Technology

Reprinted from:

The Petroleum Age, September 2008, Vol. 5, No. 3
Bruce Wells, Editor

REPLACE

A producer of oil and natural gas, Forest Oil Corp. is credited with developing secondary recovery of oil technique (waterflooding) in the early 1900s - a revolutionary event for the oil and gas industry at that time.

Forest Oil adopted an image of the yellow dog derrick lantern as it corporate logo in 1916, when Forest Dale Dorn and Clayton Glenville Dorn founded an oilfield service company in northern Pennsylvania. The company's roots can be traced to the nation's first giant oilfield in Bradford, discovered in 1871.

By 1916, oil production in the Bradford field had declined to just under 40 barrels a day. The reserve was considered by many to be dry. Undeterred, Dorn applied his new waterflooding technique to initiate secondary recover of oil.

The success of Dorn's method prompted him to create his own waterflooding company. Within five years, forest Oil was recognized as a leader in secondary oil recovery systems. Waterflooding was soon being applied throughout the industry, aiding in the extension of oil wells' lives by as much as 10 years.

The keystone shape in the center of the lantern symbolizes the state of Pennsylvania – where oil was first discovered in and Forest Oil was founded.